Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter: Rethinking the Cross

I read this article this morning by Wayne Jacobsen and loved it!

When I hear the gospel recited by word and life what I hear most often communicated is an angry God looking for someone to whack. 
Jesus is compassionate but God is going to "get me" if I make a mistake. 
Wayne nails it here:
Something about the story made me cringe every time I heard it, and since I grew up a Baptist, I heard it a lot: To satisfy His need for justice and His demand for holiness, God sentenced His own Son to death in the brutal agony of a crucifixion as punishment for the failures and excesses of humanity.

Don't get me wrong. I want as much mercy as I can get. If someone else wants to take a punishment I deserve and I get off scot free, I'm fine with that. But what does this narrative force us to conclude about the nature of God?

As we approach Easter, the crucifixion story most often told paints God as an angry, blood-thirsty deity whose appetite for vengeance can only be satisfied by the death of an innocent—the most compassionate and gracious human that ever lived. Am I the only one who struggles with that? The case could be made that it makes God not much different from Molech, Baal or any of the other false deities that required human sacrifice to sate their uncontrollable rage. read more
I highly recommend Wayne's book, "He Loves Me" for those who want more. 

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike Rea said...

email reply from a dear brother. He makes a good point here about God and satan:

We just touched on this the other day, but I believe you know my feelings about our Lord and Savior. This is a much needed communication that really needs to get out to the entire world. If God were so vengeful that would make Him more like satan than God. We already have one satan, and for me that is more than enough.
Enjoy your Easter with family and friends and bathe in the Love of our One True God.
Thanks for being my friend and brother in Christ.
Love ya,
C

3:51 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Thanks so much for sharing this, it is true, and i am thankful for the God of love who is our Father, Abba, and the Savior our King who offered Himself in love - and for that i am truly thankful.

Robin

12:45 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Thanks so much for sharing this, it is true, and i am thankful for the God of love who is our Father, Abba, and the Savior our King who offered Himself in love - and for that i am truly thankful.

Robin

12:45 PM  
Blogger toJesusthruMary said...

How true bro! I see the cross as the greatest act of chivalry, undoing in this final Garden what went wrong in the first Garden. The New Adam dying for His Bride. I never could get with the Cup of Wrath talk. Rather, the cup Christ drank on the cross, referenced in gethsemane, was the fourth Cup of the passover meal, the Cup of Consummation! The Passover is complete and eternal in God's Lamb! Praise Him!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Mike Rea said...

"cup of Consummation" sounds intriguing, tell me more...

It’s easy for me to see the cup Jesus drank was wrath after all it wasn’t pleasant and He asked for another way but I don’t see it as a penalty but rather as cure.

Chemo isn’t pleasant but it cures.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Mike Rea said...

Wayne and Brad have an excellent 40 minute conversation on what happened at the cross in the latest episode of the God Journey entitled, "What really happened at the cross?"

Check it out...

www.thegodjourney.com

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home