Thursday, January 29, 2009

Clay Pots

I'm not a really religious person. We consider ourselves to be Catholics, but we think of it more as a cultural thing. But what I love about Ted's story, at least about Ted's family, is that the Bible got them through. They read the Bible. They would read these passages, and it moved me. I went out and bought a new Bible. When I was making Friends with God, everybody quoted the Bible, but I was never inspired to go buy one. But this experience with Ted turned me onto the Bible in a whole new way, because he would read these passages and it would really inspire me. People might come away from this movie being a little anti-church, but it makes you really pro-Bible. It makes you really pro-God in a way, because you read these things in the Bible and you're like, wow. --Alexandra Pelosi in this interview about her upcoming documentary on Ted Haggard.
I watched an interview with Ted and his wife, Gayle, this morning. When asked why she stayed with Ted her answer was basically, "Jesus says to forgive, love, and not judge. It was hard but we love Ted."

In a time when Christians are often defined as religious conservatives and known for shooting their wounded (all those who don't measure up) this story of grace and truth shouts loudly a message of another way,
a narrow way.
This is the Jesus who I believe in.
One whom I know and love because He first loved me.

For years Ted's message was "Look at everything God has done for me" Now his message really is "Look at everything God has done for me."

We carry this precious Message around in the unadorned clay pots of our ordinary lives. That's to prevent anyone from confusing God's incomparable power with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home