Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Obedience?

I have two sons. In all their years they have never once asked me if I was really their Father. Even when they did something I didn't approve of and I disciplined them they never asked if they were still my kids or if I had rejected them.

Ouch, I don't want to imagine what that would feel like, "Do you still love us? Are we still your sons? Can we still sleep in your home tonight?" Man questions like that would break my heart.

"Don't you know you're my kids! Everything I have belongs to you!"

I've had a few conversations with them about obedience and doing what mom and I expect but never ever in the context that if they mess up they would no longer be considered my children. And make no mistake it is a few conversations certainly not the focal point of our relationship.

Reality is most of our conversations have nothing to do with obedience. Yea there is encouragement and teaching but almost always in the context of enjoying our relationship. I say "almost always" because I am less than perfect.

"If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven..." Lk 11:13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home