Sunday, January 22, 2006

Initial attempt at Blogging

This is my 1st official attempt at blogging, or at least at having my own blogsite and blogging. I have been reading blogs for awhile and adding my thoughts on a few of them. That is pretty cool but responding to what others say only when you feel like it is pretty safe. Jesse thanks for the encouragement to get me started. Lew thanks for the tech help.
So what do I mean by a "Pilgrim"? Well, I certainly don't own one of those funny hats that has a big belt buckle on it. At least not that I would admit to anyway. There are two official definitions of a pilgrim that fit me pretty well.
First, A pilgrim is someone who journeys in foreign lands. Most of the time I feel like I don't fit in very well like a foreigner who is easily misunderstood. The apostle Peter says we are aliens and strangers in the land. I can relate to that and it is totally ok with me. Not that I like being misunderstood but if we are following Jesus then we are going to look and sound foreign to people living the status quo. I just got off the phone with a friend who said his neighbor came down and yelled and cussed him out. He said that he is baking him a pie and is going to take it down to him and say basically, "I want to live at peace with you can we pray?" Now that is an alien to this world!
A pilgrim is also someone who embarks on a quest for something that is sacred. I'm on a quest of sorts. I've given up my life to chase after the true source of life...Jesus. I want to know Him in His resurrection power and the fellowship of His suffering as Paul said. How do I get there, how do I get to Jesus? Esther De Waal says "I shall not find Christ at the end of the journey unless He accompanies me along the way." The only way I get Jesus at the end is to follow Him now.
That is the journey I am on. I'm not alone, I know there are other fellow journeyers out there. Some are ahead of me on the path and some a little behind. We're wanderers...people who look like they are lost. To be sure, I don't know the way, but my guide does and He has a good grip on me and He's taking me home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lew said...

brother, our hearts are set on pilgrimage. That's in Isaiah, somewhere...

Psalm 84:5 (New International Version)

5 Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.

okay, Psalms!
As we apply our hearts to knowledge, learning His ways, His wisdom (which appears folly to those who appraise as the world), leaning on Him, we're gonna keep seeing His glory!

Thank you for blogging. It beats a newsletter. It beats emails...

Keep it coming, bro.

Lew

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home